Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Essay (Where Do You Find Your Serenity?)

I'd like to share this with you. This was the first essay that I have written in school. Professor asked, where can we find our serenity...and here is my essay about it.. Happy reading!!

I got a pretty good grade on this!! I hope you will like it too.


Growing up as a kid, I was never close to my mother. I used to hate it when my mother’s friends said to her, “she is your carbon copy.” It was not until I had to leave our home to pursue my college education that I realized I am incomplete without her. Now, I understand why she was strict. She wanted us to be home at exactly six o’clock. When I think of the sacrifices she made for us, it makes me proud. She has worked all her life for us. She was a supervisor in a store. She would leave the house at seven and went home at eight at night everyday. Her love and dedication has shaped my life into what I am today. Just thinking of her makes me feel very serene.

In five years that I have lived in America, I have only seen my mom twice. I miss her terribly. I have learned to appreciate her more now that I am a thousand miles away. I remember those times while I am still sleeping, she would get up very early and iron my school uniform and laid it on my bed all ready for me. She used to prepare us breakfast, my family’s favorite, fried rice and fish. She used to come to our room in the evening and always reminded us that she loves us dearly. I missed those days now that she is not here by my side.

I am what I am because of my mom. She has given me her heart. She has given me strength and has always reminded me that she will always be there for me, no matter what. She has given me inspiration and she has told me not to be afraid to take big risks in life, like coming to America alone. She constantly reminded me that there is nothing impossible to achieve, as long as I have determination to hit those goals. Whenever I call her, it feels like she is just near me. Whenever I hear her laugh, it makes me feel like I am home.

When I call her in the Philippines, despite the twelve hours difference, she still sounds like she is wide awake. She has a very cheerful voice. She asks me how my son is, my work and my school. Whenever I have problems, she is the first person I call. One day I called her while I was at the bank working, I was crying and was very upset that I did not hit my deposit goals for the month. She did not ask why I did not meet my goals. All she said was “Strive harder. I am very confident you will do better next time.” I was very relieved after I talked to her and was determined to work harder. That call reminded me of a very nice quote about mothers that touched my heart by Washington Irving “A mother is the truest friend we have, when trials heavy and sudden fall upon us, when adversity takes the place of prosperity, when friends who rejoices with us in our sunshine desert us, when troubles thicken around us, still will she cling to us and endeavor by her kind precepts and counsels to dissipate the cloud of darkness, and cause peace to return to our hearts.”

Some people may find their serenity at the beach. Some may find theirs at the spa. I do not have to be anywhere to find mine. I can just simply pick up the phone and dial my mother’s phone number. She is my soul, my serenity.






WORK CITED:
Washington Irving.” Mother Quotes”. 2008
http://www.wow4u.com/mother/index.html

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ohhh, what a truthful and sweet essay! I loved it!

Have a great weekend!

Lou said...

You're lucky you've seen your Mom twice in five years. I was 10 the last time I saw my mother.


~loannah~